P.S. 186 is dedicated to developing an environment in which students, parents and staff work collaboratively to maximize their intellectual, emotional and social potential. We will provide students with a rigorous curriculum that focuses on meeting or exceeding standards. It is our goal to develop in all of our students a love of learning and an ability to succeed as contributing citizens of society.
The P.S. 186 mission is to ensure that its students will achieve the highest academic standards by:
- Providing an environment in which students are encouraged to inquire, apply and extend their understanding of the world through problem solving and decision-making.
- Providing students with an education that is accessible and equitable for all learners including English Language Learners, students with disabilities, gifted and academically challenged.
- Differentiating the curriculum and instructional strategies to maximize success for all students.
- Educating the whole child and promoting self-confidence and mutual respect.
- Utilizing a variety of assessment strategies and looking at data to maximize classroom planning and instruction.
- Offering professional development for staff in all areas of the curriculum.
- Involving parents and community in the learning process.
Castlewood’s Great School Framework
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Special Education has initiated a Special Education Programs and Services Focused Review in P.S. 186Q Castlewood during the 2016-17 school year. The purpose of this review is to assess the district’s compliance with selected federal and State laws and regulations governing the education of students with disabilities.
The review will be conducted by the Special Education Quality Assurance (SEQA) New York City Regional Office. /The review process will involve a review of school records of a representative sample of students with disabilities, classroom visitations, and surveys. Further information may be obtained by contacting the SEQA New York City Regional Office at (718) 722-4544 and/or by contacting Melissa Haidary at (718) 831-4021.